In order for private hire drivers to operate they can only take pre-booked fares, and these must be booked through a PCO licensed operator otherwise everyone is liable to prosecution. Being licensed ensures that all customers are dealing with an honest, professional minicab company with reliable drivers and safe vehicles.
Fit and proper person
In order to get your licence there are certain criteria you need to match in order to get your PCO Operator Licence:
- Declare any convictions you have.
- Declare whether you’ve been made bankrupt or ever been disqualified from being a company director.
- Comply with relevant health and safety in the workplace e.g. fire safety.
- Show you have the relevant radio equipment and radio licensing.
- If required show evidence of certified accounts
- Insurance for employees and premises
- Show your right to work and reside in the UK
- If you’ve previously been refused or had an operators licence revoked then you will have to supply details
Public Carriage Office Licensing Officer will come and inspect your operating centre(s) which will insure you are complying with the relevant conditions listed above. You will also need to show that you have a systems of record keeping, a system for handling customer complaints, and that you have a system of handling lost property.
The cost depends on the type of operator you are, small or standard.
Once you’ve got your license you must carry on to comply with all the regulations and conditions and also keep the PCO informed of any changes to your situation.